The coronavirus pandemic has turned our lives upside down, and not in a fun way. We have all suffered the consequences of this virus, whether we have had it ourselves, experienced loss, or simply had our lifestyles altered drastically by preventative measures. No matter who you are or where you come from, you will have had to cancel plans and modify your life in the last year!
One devastating truth about the COVID-19 pandemic has been its effect on jobs. Tens of millions of people around the world have lost their jobs due to business failures and cutbacks in the past year, leaving many people in debt and feeling frightened.
Is there a way to find a job during a pandemic? Let’s get into it –
Focusing On The Right Industries
When searching for a job during a pandemic, it can be hard to know when to start. After all, none of us have ever experienced something like this in our lifetimes, how are we supposed to know?
The first step you need to take is to consider the right industries. There are certain industries that are struggling hard right now, and it would probably be a waste of time to look in those areas. The biggest one that comes to mind is hospitality such as restaurants, air travel, tourism and nightlife.
However, while some industries are dying off, others are thriving — sometimes as a result of this situation. As bad as that sounds, it is giving people opportunities to further their career and make money. Here are a few industries to explore.
- Online content creation and marketing. So many companies have had to invest quickly in online marketing during this crisis. If you can create digital content or specialize in marketing, this is the right industry for you to find a job!
- Essential services such as healthcare, cleaning and care work.
- Supplementary tutoring. Due to school closures, many parents are reaching out to private tutors to help their kids learn at home online. Could this be your next role?
And if you are looking for jobs in the public sector, why not check out a public sector recruitment company for more details!
Training To Supplement Your Skill Set
One other way to help get a job at this time is to do online training to supplement your skill set. You can easily complete online training courses from the comfort of your own home. Here are a few ideas for extra skills to learn during this time!
- Languages. If you learn a language conversationally from a tutor or using an app, you can put this on your resumé and wow potential employers!
- Content creation skills. Think: photo, film, or podcast editing. These are becoming more and more necessary in all kinds of industries, so learning these skills could really benefit you in your future job search.
- Social media marketing. Social media is the key to brilliant marketing nowadays, so learning more can really help set you apart in the industry!
Sending warm thoughts to anyone undertaking a job search in 2021!