You know how when Oprah was touting The Secret
, she told us we could turn our dreams into reality through the power of vision boards? Yeah? Well, sometimes I log onto Polyvore.com and next thing I know “OOPS!”
several hours have passed and I tell myself…“You did it for Future-Beth’s dream home, kid. Someday she’ll thank you!”
With that in mind, here’s my latest living room VISION BOARD. Peacock blue + neutrals + mid-century modern + mixed metals and woods. A dream room which, through 10 “easy” steps, could easily be turned into a home decor reality…
1. Dramatic, floor-length curtains.
I love these affordable panels from Target in a slate grey.
2. Over-sized prints – framed and hung prominently.
Something about pairing a raw, black & white photograph with a more ethereal and colorful, Impressionist-inspired painting makes me feel like the room is balanced.
3. Pretty details to create added interest.
Wouldn’t this botanical print from Refinery Paper Co. look sweet hanging by a brass binder clip? And wouldn’t it be fun to DIY a decoupage ampersand? Yes and yes!
4. Long sofa for streeeeetching out.
A three-seat sofa in a pretty peacock blue, please and thank you.
5. Upright lamp to shed light on the situation.
I like tall lamps with a long arm to create some depth. I also like not having to rely on harsh ceiling lights when I’m trying to get cozy with a good book.
6. A side table aka landing pad for morning cups of coffee and evening cocktails.
The pattern created by the metalwork on this side table mimics the interlaced fingers in the black & white photograph and that’s no accident. Drawing coordination inspiration from elements other than color is a favorite decorating tip of mine!
7. Funky armchair.
Normally asymmetry would drive me bonkers…but this chair has so much personality!
8. Geometric rug, featuring colors to tie it all together.
The gentle blue wave pattern adds a relaxing element.
9. Flickering candles and potted plants for added ambiance.
I love these simple lanterns with cut-out stars and succulents in a small copper planter.
10. A stunning marble coffee table.
Because I really hope marble never goes out of style!
Do you ever lose hours on Polyvore or Pinterest planning out your dream home? Would any of these 10 elements find themselves featured in your dream living room? Got any great resources for home decor inspiration? SHARE BELOW!!!
P.S. Cool Poster Round-Up! Cute Guest Room Round-Up!
1. Reclaimed wood and lacquer nightstand. (West Elm, $349)
2. Sweet fig amber glass candle. (Brooklyn Candle Studio, $34)
3. Banker’s clock in holly. (Anthropologie, $168)
4. “Private Lake” art plate in stoneware. (Etsy, $42)
5. “So many books, so little time” on vintage book page canvas. (Etsy, $30) — along with a stack of books, of course!
6. Agate table light. (Graham and Green, £95)
7. Mint bloom phone vase. (Brika, $32)
I love the little details you can incorporate in a beautifully curated nightstand, don’t you? Makes me want to upgrade from my current collection of electronics that are permanently on top of mine! What do you keep on your nightstand?
Are you daydreaming of updating your living space? I’ve recently found myself ogling brightly colored furniture pieces on, Chairish, a website which specializes in curating a vast collection of vintage decor. Design lovers could find themselves scrolling through pages of fabulous accent chairs for hours! Now that we’re moved in to our brand new apartment, I’ve definitely got the decorating itch. The white walls and tiles feel like a blank canvas just waiting for broad strokes of color from cozy throw blankets, colorful art prints, and furry rugs. Well, if you’re in the same boat, here are 7 eye-popping pieces to take any room from white to BRIGHT!
- Accent chair duo
- Triple wick candle
- Copper and marble clock
- Striped throw blanket
- Geometric watercolor print
- Copper pablo balls
- Table lamps