I’m all about easy-livin’ on weekends. Laying on the couch with a novel, lots of coffee, movie marathons with my love. If I didn’t have to get dressed at all on weekends I’d probably be really into that.
But occasions do arise in which one must leave the comfort of their comforter and their crime documentaries
. Birthday parties, brunch dates, TRADER JOE’S…oh my! Why use your time (and your brain cells) on closet conundrums when there’s all this fun to be had outside the house?!
Enter Weekend Uniforms. Or a few “outfit equations” that can get you through the bulk of your most common weekend activities. Use them as a framework and insert the pieces you love and have on hand. Here are 3…
- For a fancy work event, dinner to celebrate a friend’s birthday, or a concert followed by drinks at your favorite bar…
- Slip on a slinky dress and your favorite pair of heels. Give your look some edge with a biker or bomber jacket. Bring along your trusty, structured bag. Add a bangle. Make a statement with a fierce cocktail ring.
- Finish off the look with a good coverage foundation, a swipe of your favorite lipstick, and a buttery nail color. Spritz on something dark and moody. Hit the town!
Weekend Uniform: Casual
- For grocery shopping, tinkering around in your backyard, or long lazy walks with the pup through your ‘hood…
- Throw on a pair of boyfriend jeans and your favorite statement tee. Stay comfortable in a pair of white converse. Track your steps with your fitness tracker (even lazy Saturdays add miles!). Add a dainty necklace and make sure to have your favorite reusable bags on hand.
- Finish off the look with sunscreen and a lip-balm. Use a sporty, natural deodorant (that’s quickly become a cult favorite). Get. shiz. done!
Weekend Uniform: In the Middle
- For brunch somewhere quaint, boutique shopping with your bestie, or a flick at the indie theater…
- You can trick passers-by into thinking you exerted a lot of effort this morning. In truth, jersey dress + big earrings + messy bun. Grab a jean jacket in case you get chilly and strap on a pair of fun sandals. Add a chic watch and a cross-body bag.
- Finish off the look with an after-sun spray, a clean-smelling scent, and a little dry shampoo. Go for a bold lip, if you dare. Mimosas, anyone?
How do you spend YOUR weekends? Which uniform would suit your style best?
Guys! Do you rotate your wardrobe seasonally — tucking away your summer tank-tops in a bottom drawer once the weather turns and pulling down big, floofy sweaters from a plastic tub at the top of your closet? While my clothes will never be that organized, I love the idea of reserving a few, special pieces for each season. Those items that stand the test of time, tucked away for the rest of the year, just waiting for their moment to shine. You’d pull them out when the moment is right and feel nostalgia and excitement for the impending weather change. While this may seem like a hard task to invoke excitement for winter weather, here are 9 pieces from ModCloth that just might fit the bill…
(Clockwise from top left.)
Cat Sweater … for a bit of whimsy as you bundle up tight. ($49.99)
Pointed Ballet Flats … to tuck under your desk so you can slip them on once you’ve shed your morning commute snow-boots. ($49.99)
Slouch Hat … so your noggin stays stylishly warm. ($14.99)
Gemstone Earrings … for a touch of femininity that won’t get covered up by your giant parka. ($7.99)
Pleated Purple Sweater … to layer on top of all your favorite blouses. ($39.99)
Circle Scarf … because who needs a necklace when you’ve got such a dainty scarf?! ($14.99)
Floral & Lacy Undies Set … for feeling like a babe even when you’re wearing approximately 22 layers of clothing on top. ($6.99 for panties, $13.99 for bralette)
Thigh High Socks … a colorful way to add warmth. ($12.99)
Moisturizing Lipstick … to finish off all your winter weather looks. ($24.99)
Over to you! Do you have any favorite winter wardrobe pieces? Where are you shopping these days? I’d love to know!
P.S. A review of my most recent Stitch Fix box and shopping ModCloth home decor.
Hi friends! Hope you’re having a spook-tacular Halloween!! Here are four fun things I’ve been thinkin’ about today…
What’s your go-to exercise routine this Fall? I’ve been really into long walks (the breeze in South Florida lately is a game changer!) followed by this stretching routine. I’ve also been itching for a new 30 day yoga challenge. Yoga with Adriene and Bad Yogi both have a couple, and I’d highly recommend them if you’re craving a daily practice.
I’m also anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new box from Stitch Fix! Living for over a year in a climate that doesn’t really change from season to season means…I’m kinda sick of all my clothes. Stitch Fix is an amazing service if you’re looking for a wardrobe refresh. Once you sign up, you fill out an extensive style profile with your preferences and sizes, and your own personal stylist will pick out 5 pieces and ship them to your doorstep. You keep what you love and send back the rest! I requested some dressy tees since short-sleeved shirts that can either be dressed up or dressed down is pretty much all I wear. Let me know if you’d like to see a post detailing what I receive in my box!
My mom gifted me access to a self-paced photography class for my birthday. (Thanks Mom!!!) It is fascinating, inspirational, and informative, and I’m really enjoying the opportunity to learn more about the technical side of photography. (I also love the homework assignments at the end of each lesson!)
Finally, I’d love to know, what’s your favorite horror film? Halloween on a Monday night seems the perfect excuse for cozying up on the couch with a classic, creepy movie. (All the party’s are out of the way after the weekend.) Rosemary’s Baby tops my list for Halloween fright-night films. What’s on your list?
2nd Photo: Audrey Hepburn practicing yoga on the set of ‘Green Mansions’, 1958. 4th Photo: Lauren Hutton, 1968.
Chet and I are headed to Louisiana in a little over a week and I couldn’t be more excited to get out of Miami for a few days. (Maybe we’ll encounter some actual Fall weather!) It’s no wonder I have packing on the brain! With our trip on the horizon, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to share one of my favorite packing tips with you. The 5-4-3-2-1 Packing Formula is my favorite strategy for carry-on travel. It keeps luggage weight and stress levels low, low, LOW!
Just follow this simple equation … 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = ALL PACKED and ready for FUN!
Above, I considered our upcoming trip and followed the formula to map out an idea of the wardrobe I’ll bring. Our trip is one week long and includes; visiting family, an outdoor music festival, and a day-trip to New Orleans. Those 19 pieces will have me dressed and ready for ALL those activities and MORE!
Choose what will suit your suitcase according to your destination. (I like to swap out my outer layers for bathing suits if I’m going somewhere warm and beachy.) Remember to select items that can easily mix and match. The more outfit combinations the better!
Let’s get packing!
Are you going on any trips this Fall? Are you a one carry-on suitcase packer? Have any packing strategies you swear by? Let me know!