The other day, a very enticing YouTube video popped up in my recommendeds. Announcing a GILMORE GIRLS READATHON! Of course I was curious what that could mean and of COURSE I clicked.
The video explained that the readathon was a challenge of sorts, inspired by none other than the Gilmore’s themselves — Lorelai and Rory. The YouTuber explained that the aim of the challenge was to choose 7 books, inspired by 7 different Gilmore Girls categories, and to read as much as you could between October 1st and October 15th. I loved all of her suggestions, but I wanted to come up with a few of my own too!
Now, I probably won’t manage 7 books in 15 days (a girl can dream, but a girl has a job!). But I do think this is a super fun way to choose a Fall reading list. Afterall, Gilmore Girls is such a cozy, autumn-vibes show. Wouldn’t it be fun to rewatch and read your chosen books all season long?
Here are the 7 categories with a few of my suggestions for each! All of the books I picked are either ones I’ve read or they’re on my “to be read” list.
1. Book with a school setting (in honor of Yale & Chilton)
Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
The Secret History by Donna Tart
2. Book featuring a mother/daughter relationship (in honor of Lorelai & Rory Gilmore)
My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett
Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
3. Cozy book set during fall/winter (in honor of Stars Hollow & smelling snow with Lorelai)
In the Midst of Winter by Isabel Allende
The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
One Day in December by Josie Silver
4. Book with complicated love interests (in honor of Dean, Jess, and Logan)
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
The Thinking Reed by Rebecca West
It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover
5. Book written by an Asian author/has Asian representation (in honor of punk rocker girl Lane)
Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
6. The next book in a series you’ve yet to finish (in honor of A Year in the Life)
Shatter Me series
Crazy Rich Asians series
7. Book with food on the cover/apart of the story (in honor of Luke’s diner)
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle Brown
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Eggs by Jerry Spinelli
What do you think? Are you up for the challenge?
1 thought on “Gilmore Girls Readathon Picks”