The other day, a very enticing YouTube video popped up in my recommendeds. Announcing a GILMORE GIRLS READATHON! Of course I was curious what that could mean and of COURSE I clicked.
The video explained that the readathon was a challenge of sorts, inspired by none other than the Gilmore’s themselves — Lorelai and Rory. The YouTuber explained that the aim of the challenge was to choose 7 books, inspired by 7 different Gilmore Girls categories, and to read as much as you could between October 1st and October 15th. I loved all of her suggestions, but I wanted to come up with a few of my own too!
Now, I probably won’t manage 7 books in 15 days (a girl can dream, but a girl has a job!). But I do think this is a super fun way to choose a Fall reading list. Afterall, Gilmore Girls is such a cozy, autumn-vibes show. Wouldn’t it be fun to rewatch and read your chosen books all season long?
Here are the 7 categories with a few of my suggestions for each! All of the books I picked are either ones I’ve read or they’re on my “to be read” list.
1. Book with a school setting (in honor of Yale & Chilton)
2. Book featuring a mother/daughter relationship (in honor of Lorelai & Rory Gilmore)
3. Cozy book set during fall/winter (in honor of Stars Hollow & smelling snow with Lorelai)
4. Book with complicated love interests (in honor of Dean, Jess, and Logan)
5. Book written by an Asian author/has Asian representation (in honor of punk rocker girl Lane)
6. The next book in a series you’ve yet to finish (in honor of A Year in the Life)
7. Book with food on the cover/apart of the story (in honor of Luke’s diner)
What do you think? Are you up for the challenge?