Today I thought I’d share my tips and tricks to stay healthy during the holidays. I know it can be hard when there are Christmas treats at every turn and the holiday spirits are flowing (if you catch my drift;) ). Not to mention, it’s a super busy time of year! Sure all the shopping and parties and traditions are fun…but they can cause things that keep you on track the rest of the year, like exercise and meal prep, to take a back seat. So, here are some ways we can all have a healthy, happy holiday!
- Sneak in exercise. Walk wherever you can. (To and from work, to a friend’s house who lives near by, or from the very back of the parking lot.) Always take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Prep some foods on a Sunday or Wednesday to use throughout the coming days. Cook a protein, roast some veggies, and make a big pot of rice or quinoa. Cook once, eat twice (or as many times as humanly possible)!
- Find a few fuss-free, go-to recipes that you can make when you’re super busy and running around. Here are a few of my favorites for inspiration.
- When eating out, opt for the cleanest menu items — protein + veg, fish, salads. Substitute a veggie side or a side salad for fries and pass on the bread. Dress salads with oil and vinegar.
- Treat desserts as a special goodie for special occasions and not a free-for-all for the whole season. So, have that slice of cake at your company Christmas party but don’t munch on Reese’s christmas trees every afternoon when you need a pick-me-up.
- If you’re out and about and feeling stressed out, resist the urge to head straight to the kitchen when you get home. Instead, go to your bedroom and put on some comfy clothes, run yourself a hot bath, or practice a little yoga.
- Savor and enjoy all the delicious foods of the season by eating mindfully and slowly.
- Enjoy warm cups of tea. Licorice Root tea can help curb a sweet tooth, Ashwagandha tea is great for mental and physical fatigue, and Peppermint tea will cure an upset tummy.
- Bring a water bottle with you wherever you go so you can be sure to drink plenty and stay exceptionally well hydrated. You’ll be glad you did if you find you’ve had one too many glasses of champagne on New Year’s Eve!
- Give yourself a lot of love!
I always love to hear from you so please leave a comment below and let me know YOUR favorite tip for staying healthy during the holidays! xoxo