“Cookies are all about comfort. Sometimes something simple can comfort the most.”
– Lucy Knisley
Lucy Knisley’s book Relish: My Life in the Kitchen is such a treasure. Especially if you love graphic or foodie memoirs!
Lucy looks back at her life and realizes, thanks to a foodie father and a hippie-turned-chef mom, food has always played an integral role. She shares her memories, along with her experimental and ever-evolving palette, throughout the pages of the book. Each evoke laughter or a “been there, girl!”-feeling but more importantly–come with a corresponding recipe.
Any foodie, whether you’re culinary school trained or simply take comfort in a good chocolate chip cookie, will find something to love about this sweet memoir.
And speaking of cookies…
Lucy Knisley’s recipe for THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Flour – 2 cups
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Salt – 2 tsp
Butter (melted but not hot) – 1 cup
Chocolate chips – 12 oz
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Brown sugar – 3/4 cup (packed)
Eggs – 2
Vanilla – 1 Tbsp
Coconut flakes – 1 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix brown sugar, butter, and sugar
- Add vanilla and eggs, gradually while stirring
- In a different bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually combine dry and wet
- Mix in coconut and chocolate
- Drop onto an ungreased baking pan
- Secret weapon: add a tiny pinch of salt to the top of each cookie
- Bake for about 10 min. until perfect
- Eat with milk
What are you waiting for? Bake up a batch of cookies and grab a copy of Lucy’s book today! I promise you won’t regret EITHER. xoxo