Welcome back, Finding Delight Book Club members! Today is my final post about The True Memoirs of Little K, and I’m turning it over to you. While it is great to read other people’s thoughts about a book and learn a bit more about an author and dive deeper into a subject with extended reading/listening/watching … what I love most about book clubs is that it allows a space for tapping into your own feelings about a book and what it brings up for YOU. Sometimes this can be difficult when reading books by yourself. You read for entertainment and enjoyment, maybe you underline a passage that speaks to you or remark YAS! to a sentence that really rings true. But in a book club? We can dig a little deeper. So, shall we?
1. Why do you think Adrienne Sharp chose to claim these were the “true” memoirs of Little K in the title of this novel?
2. From where does Mathilde gain her power? And how is it take away?
3. What are your thoughts on the love between Nicholas and Mathilde? How does your perception of their relationship change as the book goes on and history unfolds?
4. What impact does the revolution have on Mathilde and her son? What do you think their relationship would have been like a century prior?
5. How would you have reacted if you, like Vova, were asked to impersonate the Tsarevich in public?
6. In what ways did being the daughter of an Honored Artist of the Imperial Theater and part of a family of prized performers benefit Mathilde? Can you think of other famous families of performers who impacted culture or history?
7. Why do you think Alexandra ignored popular opinion to hitch her wagon to Rasputin’s star?
8. If you were the Tsar, what would you have done differently to protect your family and heir to the throne?
9. In your opinion, was violent revolution the only way the suffering of the lower classes could have been resolved in Russia?
10. What does this book reveal about the nature of survival?
Have you read The True Memoirs of Little K yet? Pop any answers or thoughts that come up from the questions above in the comments. I’d love to continue the conversation. If you haven’t read it yet, but your interest is sparked, you can order it HERE or check it out from your local library. These posts will be here for you at any time —
So, what’s next for our book club? Subscribe HERE to receive the full Finding Delight Reading List or stay tuned to the blog for PART 1 of a brand new book. 🙂
If you enjoy my blog content, please consider supporting what I do (and keeping me caffeinated). Thank you! xoxo ☕